An Australian politician has claimed “we need to get rid of” pupils with SEND from mainstream classrooms, because “the teacher spends so much time on them, they forget” about others pupils. But data from our new research suggests otherwise...
MPTA training for TAs: Improving pupil independence
Research indicates that quality feedback on learning and the development of metacognition skills can boost pupil attainment. Our Improving pupil independence course provides TAs with the skills to scaffold learning and help pupils become confident, independent learners.
Based on our acclaimed book, The TA's Guide to Effective Interaction, this course introduces TAs to our scaffolding framework, and provides practical strategies and reflective activities. The course is suitable for all teaching assistants, learning support assistants and other classroom support staff who support learning in all settings and at all stages.
MPTA training for teachers: What teachers need to know
TAs are well placed to assist teachers obtain evidence on pupils’ performance to better inform assessment and planning. Our additional coverage for teachers draws on our CPD for TAs (above), providing teachers with essential information on how to plan for and deploy TAs in the classroom. What teachers need to know releases the full power of the MPTA training for TAs, and is suitable for teachers in all settings and at all stages.
Key features of Maximising the Practice of Teaching Assistants:
- Latest research and guidance on the complementary roles of teachers and TAs
- Scaffolding as a framework for developing pupil independence
- Reflect on practice and develop specific scaffolding strategies
- How to contribute to assessment for learning
- Effective delivery of intervention programmes*
- Supporting collaborative group work*
- Planning changes to your practice.
* available as part of the extended MPTA course for TAs
Costs and delivery
- Core MPTA training for TAs (6 hours) = £500**
- Extended MPTA training for TAs (9 hours) = £750**
- MPTA training for teachers (1.5 hours) = £150**
** plus trainer's expenses
Delivery of the MPTA staff training can be tailored to meet your needs. Please email us to discuss delivery options.
Booking your MPTA training
Before booking your MPTA training, please check your school's readiness by working through our short checklist.
To book your training, or discuss further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Licensed MPTA trainers
We train and license experienced trainers to deliver our MPTA training. They are based across the UK. Click here to view the list of trainers. Find out about how to become a licensed MPTA trainer, click here.
Please note: MPTA licensees operate independently of UCL Institute of Education. We are unable to handle enquiries and bookings on their behalf.